Tuesday 29 March 2011

A Need For Speed?

Racing games are a genre that I have grown up with I loved games such as the Grand Tourismo, Need for Speed underground and burnout all these games offered different experiences of driving. Burnout had a great arcade feel with amazing looking crashes, Need for Speed Underground had almost endless customization and Grand Tourismo had great realism. These games at the time where very unique and offered a new gaming experiences. 

Shift 2 is out now.

Shift 2 was released just this week, just a few months after last Need for Speed game "Hot pursuit". Unlike hot pursuit that focuses on a very arcadey burnout feel game, shift continues to provide a more simulation style racing game. For Shift2 is a game that i am not considering buying.

Hot Pursuit is the most critically acclaimed game in the series 

Today racing games are a genre I don't often buy into I have both Forza 3 and Burnout Paradise but I hardly ever play them. I now find racing games to be quite boring especially when playing alone. Forza is the main offender in this aspect, as the further you get into the game the longer the races get the races often are ether too easy and you stay a the front for the whole races or very hard as you try to get past cars on a very narrow track. Burnout Paradise is a game I don't often go back to as I am very near the end of the game and the difficulty is to hard for me to just pick up and play.

GTAIV a better driving game?

I think games such as GTA where driving is used for more than just racing has made me fall out of love with the racing genre, maybe I should buy Hot Pursuit to fill the racing hole. How do you feel about the racing game genre and do you still buy racing games?             

No comments:

Post a Comment